Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Holy Trail

There are roughly 4,200 religions in the world. Each filled with different beliefs, practices, rituals and guidelines. Most with a divine belief in a higher being or power. Throughout history, people have followed traditions left by their ancestors. These traditions are composed of chants, rituals, prayers they strongly believe in.
In my personal case I was raised in the Catholic faith. My mother has a strong belief in Catholicism and made sure to pass it down to her kids. I did my first communion and confirmation in Puerto Rico; these are two very big steps in the Catholic faith. Once I moved to the US, I served the lord by being an alter servant at mass. As I got older and began to go through life lessons I noticed that my catholic ways were no longer a fulfillment. I did not feel the same when I prayed. I did not feel the same when I went to church. I found myself lost. It wasn’t until the summer of 2007 when I discovered a religion called Santería during a trip back home to Puerto Rico. Santería is a faith based on spiritual healing which was exactly what I needed.

After doing some much needed research I found that there wasn’t much on the web about the religion. I later interviewed a priest who practices the faith and was told that the religion is very secretive. Every ritual or ceremony requires for the persons eyes to be closed. He also spoke to me about the importance of the beaded necklaces (elekes) used in Santería. Collares or elekes are made exclusively for Yoruba worshipers. Each color is a representation of the different saints or ‘orishas’ within the faith. Despite it’s secretive nature, today there are more than 1 million Santería worshipers in Cuba alone. Each day I wake up, I thank God for my conviction.

Sources:
http://www.elboricua.com/AfroBorinquen_Santeria.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNhA2IsT9R4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNhA2IsT9R4

No comments:

Post a Comment